In this post I am recording the modifications I did on my MacBookPro to make a developer machine. I am a backend developer and going to use this machine for writing and testing scala code (& other) backend code.
On joining my new employer I got a new Mac Book Pro (15 inch) running i7 with 500 GB disk. As I am going to spend most of my online time on this machine I made following changes to it. I am starting with the list, but will add source code snippets and screenshot as I get some time.
Day 1 (22nd April)
- Installed Divvy. Divvy is window managment system. It is a paid app, but it you have a big screen then I think it is worth spending money on it.
- Installed Magnet. Similar to Divvy, but with some realy handy shortcuts.And also free.
- Installed Iterm. I like working on ITerm
- Installed brew.
- Moved default shell to zsh and then updated it to latest via brew.
- Installed oh-my-zsh. And moved default theme to powerlevel9k
- Installed JQ, its a nice command line utility which lets you parse Json on command line. I highly recommend it , you can find it at https://stedolan.github.io/jq/ .
- Downloaded and installed following fonts - Inconsolata (for terminal), Source Code Pro (for Intelli J Idea), powerline fonts for the zsh theme.
- Installed Idea CE (with scala plugin)
- Intalled drop box app
- Installed whatsapp
- Installed slack
- Installed Lighshot screen shot app (my favorite for screen shots)
- Installed Evernote
- Installed tree command (via brew)
brew install tree
- Installed and configured Jekyll to test and publish the blogs via git hub
- pushed my new ssh keys on my github account to pull in my code
- installed scala via brew
- Intstalled java, first java 12 and then java 8. I learned that you can have multiple java running on your box. Like I have following two -
vikrant.singh@RTD ~ /usr/libexec/java_home -V ✔ 271 14:59:29 Matching Java Virtual Machines (2): 12.0.1, x86_64: "Java SE 12.0.1" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-12.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home 1.8.0_212, x86_64: "AdoptOpenJDK 8" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8.jdk/Contents/Home /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-12.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home
Installing it was easy, following two commands can help
brew tap AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk brew cask install adoptopenjdk/openjdk/adoptopenjdk8
- Next I set java8 as my primary version to use in .zshrc
export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.8)